The Meditation Chapel
An impressive piece of architecture–The Meditation Chapel sits atop a 130-foot rock cliff on the face of Rocky Butte in Portland, Oregon. This award-winning building is made of polished granite and glass. The panoramic view is incredible. One can see the Columbia River and Mt St. Helens and on a very clear day, Mt. Rainier.
This is one of my favorite spots in which to contemplate. I admire this building’s simplicity; It’s distinct geometric shape is pleasing to the eye. It takes a structure of a certain beauty and character to blend in so well in such a natural setting as a botanical garden.
The clean lines of glass structure interplay perfectly with the light from the late morning sun; casting remarkable shadows.
It is very quiet. every now and then the odd tourist wanders up here with always the same hushed reverence. This place evokes it.
I like to stand at the very edge; up against the glass and take it all in. it is a strange and wonderous feeling to be up so high, looking down on tree tops and across to mountains. It is easy to imagine oneself as an eagle soaring high into the sky.
On a clear day you can see forever or at least the Cascade Mountain Range. I am planning to return for more photos if we get some picturesque snows this winter. I think the view would be well worth the trip. I can imagine how quiet it would be then. Very contemplative, meditative perhaps…definitely Geometry at it’s best. If you are ever in Portland contemplate a visit, perhaps we can meet up for an inspirational lunch.
related articles in all shapes and sizes
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Geometry (thepetalpusher.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Geometry (gusgus64.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Geometry (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – Geometric (melonpops.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Geometry (amaltaas.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Geometry Of Life Where You Least Expect It (brouhaha-access.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge(Geometry) (natureswalkphotography.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Geometry (gabrielastanculescu.wordpress.com)