U n u s u a l
I am full of unusual so much so that the unusual becomes usual for me. I have already done the unusual strange in a previous photo challenge very recently. I thought this time it would be a good idea to convey unusual in a more esteemed light. I wanted to show a beautiful and wonderous unusual. A rare and inspiring unusual and I wanted to show the topic on many levels. This perplexed me and I gave it some thought as I try to do in these challenges. And so without further ado, I present……
The Monastery at The Grotto in Portland, Oregon is home to the Servite Friars, and it was built in 1936. The rock exterior is made of sandstone from Washington State.
The Order of Servants of Mary (The Servites) is a religious family that embraces a membership of friars (priests and brothers), contemplative nuns, a congregation of active sisters and lay groups.
The Servites lead a community life in the tradition of the mendicant orders (such as the Dominicans and Franciscans). The Servite Order was founded in the early part of the 13th century (1233 AD)
This rare and beautiful building The Monastery is just one of the many wonderous and unusual sights at The Grotto, A magical place indeed. We will revisit The Grotto from time to time as it is a welcoming place full of natural and man-made beauty and one of my favorite places to go in this unusual city of Portland.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Unusual (mothergrogan.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Unusual (ahecticlife.wordpress.com)
- “Weekly Photo Challenge: “Unusual” #2 (alicethroughthemacrolens.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: UNUSUAL (thefeistsgreatescape.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Unusual (theinspiredpacker.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – Unusual (janetnewenham.wordpress.com)